Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Holden Tags Along to the Eye Doctor

Yesterday was a hard day. Today was a hard day too, but yesterday was worse. Well, the morning was ok, besides rushing around in the A.M. trying to get myself and Holden ready in time. It was the afternoon that was hardest.

I went to the OBGYN office for my 6-week check up (everything is back to... Well, not normal, but I guess as close as I'm gonna get!) in the morning.

Rob came with me, so that was good. I had to nurse Holden once we got into an exam room, and Rob was able to hold him when I finished so he didn't fuss. Of course, as soon as I nursed him he pretty much dozed off. Story of my life. (can we say foreshadowing?)

Rob had to go into work soon after we got home, but Holden & I got to relax (ha!) for a few short hours in the early afternoon. In between his Grumpings I
managed to scarf down some lunch. This pretty much consisted of me holding Holden in my left arm and dipping toast into hummus with my right. It was delicious in any case.

Too soon it was time to head out for my eye appointment. Holden of course fell asleep in the car, but he woke up once we got into the waiting room. He was quiet for awhile, looking around with his wide eyes like he does, like everything in the world is new and fresh, which to him I suppose it is.

However, the quiet wonderment did not last long. Soon, it was replaced with screaming that no amount of cuddling, kissing, rocking, walking, anything could fix. He wanted The Boob and he wanted it now. Unfortunately, I am not quite comfortable nursing in public so I did my best boob-less soothing. It went on for almost 20 minutes. It was AWFUL. I just wanted to cry & scream myself. I felt bad for Holden, I felt bad for all the other patrons, I felt bad for the receptionists... And I felt bad for myself.

Luckily, the very second before I was either going to a) pull my hair out or b) make a run for it one of the nurses came over and said to me: "Is he crying cus he's hungry? I just had my first grandbaby so I thought that might be it. Want me to find an empty room for you to nurse in?"

Bless that women. She took me to the back, put me in a room ("put the chair against the door so no one cam walk in on you") and said not to worry about missing my appointment time, I could take 30 minutes if I needed to.

Of course, I still felt badly about being an inconvenience, but at least Holden was happy. Well, until he finished nursing; he started fussing again as soon as he was full. I luckily got to wait in the special in-the-back waiting room with a tv until the OD could see me because I had to hold Holden in
my arms & let him suck my finger the whole time. And the whole time I was waiting in the exam room. And during the exam.

Happily, all the staff was wonderful and Dr. Hobson was wonderful as well. Thank goodness!

And thank goodness Holden is so cute & I love him so much: because sometimes it's hard to stay positive when it gets overwhelming and I just wanna cry too.

No comments:

Post a Comment