Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Photoshoot

This past week has been a crazy one! As I get more used to being a mom (Ha!) I’m starting to actually behave once again like a human being and get my lazy a** out of the house! It’s still really hard though. Case in point: Rob had Tuesday off, and he’s been really great lately so I decided that we would all go out to lunch at his favorite place – Taco Mac.
This was the first time that we’d brought Holden to a restaurant, and I thought he was doing well. He had fallen asleep in his car seat on the way to Taco Mac, and then I put him in the Moby and he continued to doze while we each sipped a beer, worked on a plate of nachos, and acted like a couple again. Things were going sportingly until we decided we were still hungry and ordered a burger to share. Then, of course, Holden decided that he, too, was hungry and began to fuss.

Of course I had forgotten the nursing wrap. Of course! So I had to make do with a blanket. Which did not want to do an effective job of staying put and not exposing my boobage to the world. Holden did not want to play along either. He established a good latch and nursed well for about 10 minutes or so, then he unlatched and started crying and would not latch on again or stop crying for the life of me! After a handful of unsuccessful attempts to remedy the situation I escaped to the truck before the other diners turned into an angry mob. Needless to say I did not get to eat my half of the burger, nor finish my beer.

When I got to the truck, I lifted Holden out of the Moby wrap and discovered the problem: a huge blow-out of a poo that had leaked out of the diaper, all over him and all over me (well, the Moby). Grrreat. Now, normally he doesn’t cry when he has a poo, but then again I usually notice and change him as soon as it happens. This time, as he was ensconced in the Moby, I wasn’t aware. So while Rob chugged down the remainder of his (and my) beer and paid the check I got Holden cleaned up and changed and decided that we didn’t really need to go by Trader Joe’s.

On Wednesday, I had to go to the doctor (twice, for they screwed up my appointment time) and on Thursday we took Holden to get his shots. He had to get four of them, poor thing! I held his little hands still, and put my face on his and when he cried it broke my heart! Seriously, if I had to get four shots – two at a time – I would cry too! Luckily, he didn’t cry but for a few minutes, I breastfed him and we left the doctor.

Then we had to go to a business meeting, because of course it would be on the most inconvenient day possible. Then we had to hightail it home so Rob could help his friend change his brake pads. Well, he and Rob had literally JUST left when Holden began to scream bloody murder. I had been nursing him and all of a sudden after I burped him he just started screaming. And screaming. And screaming. I sang. I rocked. I danced. I offered boob soothage. I called the pediatrician’s office and they said that he was probably just reacting to the vaccines but if he kept it up for 2 hours without stopping I should take him to the hospital. Two hours?

Luckily, he only cried for about thirty minutes before I think he tired himself out and fell asleep in my arms. Of course, my dumbass had to go and sneeze and wake him up! But the second time he only screamed for about fifteen minutes before he fell asleep again. The poor guy pretty much slept and nursed for the rest of the night, but no more screaming Thank Goodness!

Saturday was my busiest day of all! In the morning we took Holden’s Easter pictures! Aren’t they cute! I seriously took over a hundred pictures… I may have a problem! He did surprisingly well! I thought he was going to fuss, but Rob held up his Cap’n Calamari and he calmed right down. In the afternoon I met some of my girlfriend’s at Pure Taquera for my bff Misty’s baby shower. After Pure, we went back to my friends’ house and had some champagne and Misty opened her presents.

Holden had slept through my outing and was still asleep when I made it home, so I quickly went through the photos and sent some to Wolf Camera to be printed so I could give them out on Sunday. My mom came over after that so I could run to pick up the prints and the market and stayed to entertain him while I made beignet dough and grit casserole for Easter breakfast & cherry filled chocolate cupcakes for Easter lunch.
Yeah, I didn’t finish until 10:30! And of course Holden wouldn’t fall asleep for my mom so he didn’t make it down till 11. Then I had to clean the kitchen and finish this! Needless to say, I didn’t get much sleep! Who needs sleep anyway, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment