Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sour Cream Blueberry Pie


I love to bake and cook. And when I got pregnant I was terrified that I wouldn’t be able to do it anymore. “You won’t have time!” people said to me. Well, I decided that *I* would have time to bake, if I had to sacrifice a clean house to have freshly baked cookies then so be it! I remember when H was a 2-3 weeks old, and people would tell me “Nap when he naps!” Well, I may have been tired as all get out, but I baked when he napped! There was one time I was in the middle of making chocolate chip cookies when he woke up from his nap. Well, I picked him up, cradled him in my arm and somehow still managed to roll dough into balls and place 'em on the cookie sheet! We all have our priorities, I suppose!

It’s a bit easier now. I can put H’s Bumbo on the counter and he can watch me cook or bake while he watches me or bangs his plastic spoon I gave him. I like to think he’s practicing for when he gets to help me stir! I’m not gonna lie, sometimes he is not happy at all that I am paying more attention to the food than to him. Those days, I must admit I feel a little bit guilty. Is baking a pie or making ice cream, etc more important than spending time with my baby? No it’s not. But I do believe that it’s important as a mom to do something every day that makes you happy, and baking or cooking is that for me.

I made a delicious Sour Cream Blueberry Pie for my book club yesterday. Today, it was all gone! My bff Erica, who doesn’t even really like blueberries, at two pieces so it must be good! And my mom snagged the last piece when she came to visit me this afternoon. So, as hubby hadn’t yet had a chance to savor a slice, I of course *had* to make another one today. Besides, blueberries are on sale anyway! This pie is so delicious! The crumb topping is my favorite; it’s so crunchy-crispy. I made it finer today, when I took the photo. I think I might like it a bit better like I made it yesterday, more of a chunky consistency – it’s up to you! But trust me… you’re gonna wanna go ahead and bake two pies!




Sour Cream Blueberry Pie

Pie:
Pie crust
3 cups blueberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup sour cream
Pinch salt
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

Topping:
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup flour
4 T butter
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 f. Place pie shell in pie plate & blueberries in pie shell. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, eggs, and sour cream. Beat until creamy. Pour over the blueberries. In another medium bowl, cut the butter into the sugar, flour and nutmeg until it resembles either large peas (my preference) or corn meal and sprinkle over the top of the pie. Bake for 50 minutes, then turn up the heat to 425 and bake for 5-10 minutes more or until the top is golden.

1 comment:

  1. Your son will be better off because his mother has something that she loves that she cares to share with him! Good for you for keeping up with it. I wish I would've had something to do other than "mom" when Alexa was first born. Well...I did start a mommy blog ;D

    ReplyDelete